Palm Beach is a great location for getting alcohol and drug rehabilitation thanks to its pristine beaches, relaxed vibe, and outdoor activities – just to name a few. Not only are the scenery and weather beautiful most days of the year, there are a variety of physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits to going to the beach or being out in the sun which few other places can provide year-round. See why you or a loved one should select a Palm Beach rehab center to treat alcohol and drug addiction.
A Dose Of Sunshine Does The Body Good
‘Sunlight therapy’ has a long history that dates back to the ancient Greeks who called it ‘heliosis.’ Today, we call it ‘heliotherapy’ but the principle remains the same – exposure to a moderate amount of sunshine is good for our physical and mental health. For example, sunlight delivers a natural source of vitamin D which helps:
- Promote bone health
- Support the immune system
- Protect against dementia and brain aging
- Good for losing excess fat
- Essential for decreasing symptoms of asthma
- Strengthen teeth
In addition to vitamin D, exposure to sunlight can also help clear skin problems, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, cleanse blood/blood vessels, increase oxygen content in blood, build the immune system, and treat depression. Sunlight deprivation can even cause a condition called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a form of depression. SAD is more common in winter months, but also common in people who work long hours in office buildings. By going to a rehab center in the Sunshine state, you’ll have access to plenty of sunlight.
The Beach Is More Than Just Fun
With over 47 miles of Atlantic coastline and “beach” being in our name, you know we have some good ones! Not only is going to the beach fun, there are a variety of health benefits you can reap:
- Promotes physical activity like swimming and walking (did you know walking barefoot on sand burns more calories than with shoes on pavement?)
- Sand is a natural skin exfoliant
- Seawater helps preserve skin elasticity and contains magnesium which moisturizes your skin
- Sounds of the ocean are soothing
- Seawater contains several minerals and other other compounds that help boost your immune system and rid your body of toxins
- More seafood restaurants are around – seafood is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which have several health benefits, like reducing your risk of heart disease and regulating triglyceride levels in the blood
- Staring out at the ocean is meditative and promotes mindfulness
In addition to beaches and sunlight, our Palm Beach rehab center also offers therapeutic activities like fishing and adventure therapy as part of our drug and alcohol addiction treatment programs.
Therapeutic Benefits Of Fishing And Adventure Therapy
Fishing is a relaxing activity that engages both your mind and body. The mental and physical benefits of fishing are particularly healing for those with an alcohol or drug addiction. Below are some reasons why you should consider getting into fishing when you’re in Palm Beach:
- It’s a total body workout that engages your arms, back, core, and lower body
- Being in nature has a calming, meditative effect that decreases stress which can help you sleep better and decrease levels of depression and anxiety
- It challenges your mind and allows for a healthy mental escape
- Helps you focus on something outside of yourself which reduces cravings and delays instant gratification patterns typical of substance abuse
- Fishing is a versatile activity that can be done alone for solitude and meditation or with a small group for companionship
- Anyone can do it regardless of fitness level, age, or gender – all you need is some equipment and a fishing spot
One of our rehabilitation homes in Palm Beach offers a large backyard located directly on a canal that is perfect for fishing and connecting to nature and fellow residents
If you’re looking for something a little more off the beaten path, then adventure therapy is for you! Adventure therapy uses physical activities in natural environments to help you engage in the moment, challenge your body and mind, and lower stress. Check out these benefits of adventure therapy:
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Improves coping skills
- Promotes physical well-being
- Increases feelings of accomplishment
- Creates fellowship with others
Adventure therapy also allows you try new things and see new places – you get to explore tropical environments, get close to wildlife, and do a variety of physical water activities like snorkeling, paddle boarding, and more.
Contact Our Palm Beach Rehabilitation Center
Taking the first step is always the hardest but once you do, you’ll be glad you did. That’s why we offer different drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation programs to best fit your needs and a caring, supportive team who is here to help every step of the way. Call, email, or text us today to get started on your path to recovery.