Addiction is recognized as a brain disease because it causes a chemical change which alters the brain and changes how it functions, leading to harmful and self-destructive behavior patterns. In understanding this we do not treat clients who are suffering from drug or alcohol addiction as culprits due to the social stigma that is associated with drug and alcohol abuse. Instead we treat our clients with the respect, compassion and support anyone with a harmful disease deserves.
What Are the Symptoms of Drug and Alcohol Addiction?
There are varying symptoms of drug and alcohol abuse that you may notice in yourself or a loved one, the most common of these are:
– Withdrawal from family and friends
– Sudden change in behavior
– Careless personal care
– Sudden mood swings or euphoria
– Unexplained absences or criminal activity
– Temporary black outs or memory loss
– Irritability, depression, mood swings
– Headaches, anxiety, insomnia
– Drinking alone, in the mornings or in secret
– The need for alcohol to relax, feel happy or sleep.
Family and Addiction
Drug and alcohol addiction affects those who suffer from substance abuse as much as it affects their families, that’s why our program is designed to conduct alcohol or drug abuse recovery that incorporates family members, so they may be correctly educated on how to best assist in rehabilitation treatment and the overall recovery plan.
We provide support education and guidance to families as well as hosting special events and video conferences for those who live at a distance from West Palm Beach, Florida.